Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Paradise anyone? Hawaii Part I

I'm pretty amazed that we got to go on a trip like this. No, It's not usual daily fare for us or even an annual thing. This was happenstance that came true.

It all started more than a year ago when my seester, Vanessa, called with a proposition: would you like to trade a week of he]] for a week of heaven? Her 4 kids for a week in exchange for mine? She was planning a week long hiking trip to the Wind Rivers, pictures here,--we would just need to decide what backpacking trip we were going to do.

Later we debated: could Hawaii be an option? I'll include some links at the end but with the help of the internet (for which I'm shamefully addicted to) we jetted, enjoyed, relaxed and returned (all while avoiding the H1N1).

Oahu was nice and we did every touristy thing all in about 16 hours. Well we were up at 4:30--not quite used to the time difference. Hanauma Bay
USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl HarborA Swap Meet
The Dole PlantationThe Polynesian Cultural Center (Samoans climbing a Coconut tree)A Lu'au, (real flowers) the visitor's center at the temple that's under renovation, and the PCC's night show.

We then flew to Kauai where we stayed, get this, at the Marriott. Yes, me, at the Marriott, like it happens all the time. The Marriott on Kalapaki beach, with a 26,000 sq ft pool. Remember, we were going to go back packing... the trip was charmed...Our recently renovated room. Fresh out of compacts-- Alamo let us take a convertible. Yes, us, in a convertible, riding around Kauai, staying at the Marriott...

Kauai is green and smells and feels tropical. It's rural compared to Oahu and small enough to drive almost around it in about 2 hours.James at Poi'pu beach our first night. We weren't even thinking sunsets so when this showed up, we started planning the nights around them. We even tried surfing. Lessons would have been nice.

We used farecast.com (it's now bing) to email us of when to buy plane tickets. There were two days back in June where round trip to Oahu was $270. Shamefully addicted I tell you. I'll post more soon.

11 comments:

Sharon said...

Perfect trip! This truly had to be a once in a lifetime experience, I'm so happy you got to go and relax!

Jen said...

Wow! Living it up, Nora! What a great sister! I bet the week wasn't even he[[ for her, either.

Chris and Jodi said...

Chris and I are so jealous. It looks like you both had an awesome time!

Chris and Jodi said...

Chris and I are so jealous. It looks like you both had an awesome time!

Hideaway Girl said...

$270 for round trip?!? What a deal!! Sounds like you scored with the car and hotel as well! We went as newlyweds, but I would LOVE to go back - Maybe for our 15th! Glad you had such a great time.

Nicholle said...

Y'all sure know how to have some fun! We are a little jealous, but now I know who to call when I am planning a trip to Hawaii!

Amber said...

Wow- $270! I knew your tickets were cheap but not that cheap! And what do you mean, this is the usual for you? Disneyland, San Francisco. . . Glad it was such a fun trip!

Janice said...

How fun! I bet you came back ready to conquer the world. Alan and I went to Maui 5 years ago...WOW! I can't believe that it has been so long. How time flies! I have to say that Hawaii is the most relaxing place and soooooo beautiful.

Unknown said...

Ahhh! Jealous with a capital J! How fun for you guys! We're totally going to do a vacation swap. Just looking for unsuspecting family members whom we would like to exchange kids with...

Jade said...

NICE!!! That looks like an amazing trip (especially right now)! Glad you had so much fun.

Kass said...

I am so glad you got to spend some time in paradise...driving your sweet convertible, seeing the undescribable sunsets, luauing, surfing (I have yet to do that), Wow!!! You know how to find the deals & I'm so glad you made it happen. Two islands??? Even better!