Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Ben Doped up

So a while back one of my weekly focuses was to get a Dr. appointment for Benjamin. His tonsils were huge and he snored at night and he was always tired. I took him to Dr. M at South Valley ENT and sure enough he suggested a tonsillectomy--oh and the adenoids while we're in there. Ben went yesterday morning for the "ectomy" and did remarkably well. James checked him in yesterday at 6:45 in the morning. They said to plan on 4-6 hours so I was going to go in at 10:00 so James could go to work. At 9:30 he was eating a slushy and being released so James brought him home.
He's a funny boy. When being carried in he wanted the hospital bracelet off and the IV gauze and tape off. James' said they'd take it off inside but not wanting to wait, Ben ripped off the tape and slipped out of the bracelet before they walked in the door. I had a nest on the couch ready for him--he said he'd rather play with cars. He was hungry too. By dinner we had moved passed apple juice (he had drunk it all) He had eaten--cake, yogurt, a hot dog, 2 Popsicles, applesauce, and two bowls of cold oatmeal. Now warm instant oatmeal is tough enough to get down--Just imagine it with 5 ice cubes.
Now for the title --They prescribed Loritab for the pain. I don't think Ben experiences pain like the rest of us. At about 2pm I decided to give him a dose. He started galloping around and talking really loud. I tried to put him down for a nap but he didn't want to sleep and since he had just had surgery and all I said he didn't have to take a nap-- about 5 minutes later I looked over at Stuart who was fussing and Ben was stomping on his back. Out of my mouth flies "Boys who stomp on babies have to take naps!"
I can't complain about any yucky fluids, or bad smells, or fevers, or anything. I'm kind of sick of the hopped up Ben and being a short order cook, but other than that, He's doing well and I'm feeling a little guilty. My visiting teaching partner brought me this better-than-I'd-ever-make-for-my-own-family-dinner last night. Lucky me. Sorry no photos, the camera and adobe photoshop album are not getting along.

6 comments:

Diann said...

Dude's going to eat you out of house and home now that he can swallow. Hang in there - we've survived 2 "ectomies" at our house. You'll be amazed at the difference. :)

Kim said...

After all the worry, it sounds like he'll be just fine. Now we just hope "the boy" will be too. :) Glad the surgery went well!

Brandi said...

I fear that Maya will need her tonsils out this year, too! She has had 3 infections since January. Poor girl.

That's funny that Ben is eating like crazy! He sounds like such a fun kid. I'd love to have Hayden and Ben get together for a play date. They would be quite the pair, I think.

dishes and laundry said...

I think you're right about Ben not experiencing pain like the rest. That is too funny. I love that you made a nest for him - I do stuff like that too. Glad he's feeling good - just no more baby stomping!!!

Amber said...

Hopefully he's off the dope soon!!!

Totally unrelated to your post, but funny: Last night I was loading some "calming" songs onto my ipod to take to the hospital. I asked Jake, "do we have any Nora Mair?" He looked at me really funny and said, "do you mean Norah JONES?" If you ever make a record, I'll buy it!!

Spencer family said...

So glad that everything went well! That's always a little scary!