Pages

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas

From my beloved sister Sharon who made these for me when I went to visit her in Michigan.  Incredibly delicious and memorable.  There’s a little kick in the green chili sauce and chili powder but it’s good. 

6 tablespoons honey
5 tablespoons lime juice (approx. 1 large lime)
1 tablespoon chili powder (use a little less for a milder version)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded (I used 2 large chicken breasts)

10-12 flour tortillas (I made 12 smaller ones)
1 pound Monterey jack cheese, shredded (I used cheddar and Monterey jack)
16 ounces green enchilada sauce
1 cup heavy cream (half and half works and it’s cheaper)

Mix the honey, lime juice, chili powder and garlic together and toss with the shredded chicken. Let it marinate for at least 1/2 hour (or toss together in a ziploc bag and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours).
Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan. Fill flour tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover marinade(I never have any left, the chicken soaks it all up) . Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top.

I’ve freezer traded these in two ways.  Once by rolling all the enchiladas and freezing them in a ziploc with the sauce and topping cheese in separate ziplocs.  Another time, when my house was ripped up, I placed the chicken and cheese in separate ziplocs and packaged with just flat frozen tortillas, sauce and topping cheese. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I made these last night...delish!