Pages

Friday, July 09, 2010

Updates

Pregnancy: Still itchy hips and incredible despondency. My normal now is pulling a book into bed and reading rather than going for a ride or walk in the mornings. Plus some veins have arrived (I cannot be surprised) which makes riding rather bunched in the knickers.

School: We’re out of school, Hooray! Bed time is lucky before 10 and we’re planning a trip to Bryce Canyon next week.

Media: The Smurfs. Remember them? We started watching episodes on Hulu, and now we have the DVDs from the library. It’s clever and brings back memories of crowding around the TV on Saturday mornings. Why is there only one smurfette?

Chickens: We’ve used up our first bag of feed that came with the girls. In the six weeks of hen adoption I’d say we gathered around 10 dozen eggs. Could we be more fortunate? We have run into a few soft shells that they crack when you pick them up—apparently they need more calcium. We need to give them grit or rocks for their digestion and they’ll be able to get calcium from the the feed.

We’ve had eggs at least once a week for dinner in various forms: french toast, scrambled, over easy, english muffins with ham. The chickens are really our pets now as well as protein producers. They come when I call, with scraps, or to go back into the pen. Ben’s the most attached, hauling them all over the back yard.

112111 114 115

When this brown egg on the left came, it was an Olympic moment cracking it. Two Yolks! Twins. Reading up, the statistics are one out of every 1000 eggs. I see it as auspicious and Addie thought it was delicious.

I found my camera but it was lost for three weeks. I missed Paige’s birthday and the 4th. Have you ever staged cupcakes and candles just to get a picture?

5 comments:

Robyn said...

Ahh...itchy, itchy hips and belly the joys of pregnancy. I've got some tummy butter from the last one if you want to try it. Can't wait to spend some of that no school time with you. And two yolks, must be some kind of good luck sign.

krissy said...

I love your updates, they make me smile. I miss you and our chats! We need to plan a date night with our men soon! A movie and dinner sound heavenly right now. Call me!!

Michelle said...

Those eggs are huge, and 2 yolks is too fun! I'm sorry all the "fun" prego parts have already started!!!
I lost my camera for 6 months when Lena was a baby, I'm glad your camera is back!

utdaisy said...

We got chickens too! I've been wondering what to do with all the eggs that will come from 6 chickens....thanks for the ideas!

Heather C. said...

I love the idea of chickens but I'm afraid I would toss the eggs and continue buying the clean, cold ones at the grocery store...Maybe I'm not as much of an earthy gal as I thought!
Congrats on another BOY! :)