Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Serendipty Potato Rolls

This recipe came to me from Christine Benee who gave me frozen rolls that I let rise and baked. The first time I had them I ate 6 out of the 12 :) When I made them the first time I ran out of white flour and substituted a cup of whole wheat flour. Even better with a hint of health.

1 pk of yeast or 1Tbs
1 1/2 cups warm water
2/3 cup sugar

Mix first three ingredients and let it sit a bit. Then add:

2/3 cup soft butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 t salt
1 cup mashed potatoes
6 cups white flour
(variation 5 cups white, 1 cup whole wheat flour)

Knead to soft dough 1-3 minutes or until not sticky.

Divide into 2 balls. Roll each (one at a time) into a large pizza circle and slice into 12-16 pieces. Roll up slices, place on a greased baking sheet and let it rise until double in size.

Bake 12-15 minutes at 350.

Tips:
#1 I use instant mashed potatoes made in the microwave and they work great!

#2 After rolling up rolls, flash freeze in freezer and pile into freezer bags. To bake frozen rolls just cover with plastic wrap and let rise (about 4 hours).

No comments: