Pages

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Hobby Turned Lucky

I started yardsaling when I started teaching preschool and was in need of toys. I liked finding a small treasure amongst junk and then I'd buy the junk too.

When we moved about three years ago I was disenchanted by stuff. I had too much of it. It was then that I realized I could stop my acquisitions by curtailing my hobby.

I'm starting my 8th year of preschool next week and I was hoping for some old parchute or an art easel that stored well. And against James' judgement (because when I left it was already 9 and any one who yardsales knows that "all the good stuff" is gone by 7:59) I went.

Behold 20 minutes, Two Yards, and $45! (and I'm including prices for Kim and Sharon because we always want to know a good deal) The whole get up, $30. The skis are a little long and not as fat as the latest and greatest model that Sports Authority rented me last year but all I can say is, "Hello Demo Tent" ehh Donna? The boots might be a little big, I'll know for sure, the first time I ski on them, if I can keep my heels down on turns.
The owner of this gem ($15) claimed it was an antique. I doubt that. It was just made before children were considered complete idiots and fun took priority over safety. I can't keep the kids off it.
I thought for sure someone would get ejected, smashed toes, or a bloody nose by now but its been nothing but cooperative fun. And by that I mean the kids have to be nice to each other to totter. You can't teeter solo.

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Doesn't great garage sale find pump up your Saturday? I love the skis but I'm glad I don't have to store them:) Paige has turned into a beautiful little girl, I can't wait to get reacquainted in a WEEK! See ya soon and welcome back to blogging, you have been missed!

Donna and Bevan said...

SO HAPPY you blog again! You really have been missed. You're kids are growing up too fast! Nice to know you're thinking of skiing already. Atta girl!

Susan said...

HOORAY! You do exist! I'm so glad you're blogging again. I'd nearly given up. You really were missed. :)

Becky said...

Nora! I was so glad to get your note on my blog! So fun to see you at Lagoon...can't believe summer is over! Such a cute family you have!! Great job on your yard sale treasures!

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

AWESOME SKIS!!! Wahoooo!

Jade said...

Now THIS is the Nora I love and miss. Everytime I go to a yard sale I think of you.

Christensen family said...

Seriously Nora Jane... You are hilarious. I get such good laughs reading your posts... keep them coming. We had that same teeter-totter. David and I loved riding it. I am such a garage sale addict...so I loved this post.

Kim said...

I too grew up with a teeter-totter very similar to that! Gotta love a good deal, and looks like you scored big. So far it looks like we'll see you on Sunday. I'll let you know if anything changes.