Pages

Monday, August 25, 2008

Jodanelle Triathlon 2008! Check!

Right before we started! I had to do some cropping--the lycra was soooo unforgiving!



Marisa and her station all set! Is this transition area intimidating or what?
James hanging out by the only shade, the ambulance, until they had to move it to help the hypothermic shaking man out of the water.


I have a billion thoughts to tell so --hold on to your blogging bum....

First off--I have no recollection of nerves like these ever....my wedding? the MTC? child birth? first day of teaching? Nothing compares to the start of a triathlon--or the 24 hours prior. Yes, for the whole day before, my body was teaming with...adrenaline?...is that was it was? And ohhh the mental chatter...."will I finish? will I drown? Will I fall off the bike and need lots of plastic surgery? Will I look the part or stick out like a phony?...will Benjamin still think I'm cool if I'm not first!"

Second--we (Marisa and Amber) spent the night before at the cabin which was wonderful--Thanks mom & dad. We picked up our race packets the night before and ran into a teacher I used to teach with at Monte Vista...Marty...(Amy...remember Marty Davis? She totally kicked my butt and she's close to retirement!) We did some pasta and marshmallow roasting and hit the hay but I didn't sleep much. Around 3:30am I awoke to regretfully reviewed the whole coarse in my mind and listen to the deep breathing cadences of my babies to lull me back to sleep....at around 5:30.

Third--Everyone came out to watch. James wrangled 4 kids for 4 hours--his own personal triathlon, or should I say, quadathlon. Thank You James..... My mom, dad, Tall Paul, Donna, Robyn, Dave, Ian, and Miles. The Johnsons, and Smiths! Thanks for your cheering!

Fourth-- The race. The swim was cool but I got kicked a bunch. That's incentive to swim faster next time. The bike was the best--and really it's all about the bike these days. I borrowed Bevan's road bike and it performed! There is a big hill coming out of Francis that I've gone done a couple of times before--but with caution because it's so steep. During the race, I just let gravity do the work--and hit 42MPH! What a thrill. I forgot to drink anything while riding and left the bike to run the 5K relying on the first mile water station. It was a loooooong first mile. It felt like running on marshmallows and I just kept thinking about water. The run was the toughest...but I finished, and I was not the last one, just 5 minutes short of my 2 hr goal! Kudos goes out to my Idaho coach and wardrobe assistant, Vanessa, and Marisa and Amber for all those killer bricks!

Fifth-- Post race, I was 'an hungered... and could not be full.' After 2 cookies, a bagel, a cream cheese packet (ran out of bagel and sucked the rest down), an apple, 5 water bottles, I was ready to have lunch.
I am still in awe that I did it and wasn't prepared for this consequence: "Well if I can do this ... I can____________ fill in the blank." My list is long of impossible feats: keeping the kitchen clean...never loose my temper again...finish every single craft/home improvement project I've started....climb the grand....
The race review in my head is intense too....Did I push myself as much as I could have? Why did I let those buff old (our age was on our calf) ladies pass me? I might just have to do it again to know.... but no promises.

Lastly, thanks for all the comments of good luck. I can now get back to my regularly scheduled life, events, and happenings that are worth more noting than they have been getting lately because of this dinosaur of a goal that is now past! I didn't drowned, no surgery is needed, I blended in with the rest of the rookies and Ben gave me a high five when he saw me on the run! I'll take it!
Done with the swim! Note to self: take off dorky cap asap next time.
Donna chased me down at the end of the bike to snap this one. Again some cropping to help me out. High Five from Ben....It may look like I'm walking but I was running....really.....

The finish! At last! Again some cropping, but you get the idea.

24 comments:

Unknown said...

You did SO AMAZING! You definately get the "Most Improved Award." You guys should see Nora on the bike, she is a power house!

Nicholle said...

I am impressed...truly amazed!

Anonymous said...

You rock!! Once again, I am highly impressed with people who can swim with others on top of them...I think I would start punching people and get DQ'ed :-) Good job!

Kim said...

Way to go Nora! I love your description of the pre-event jitters! So true!
You inspire me! ...and glad that Ben is a supportive son.

Christensen family said...

YEAH! I am soooo impressed. I could not do that... I will just stick to running! I loved how you described it all. You are so fun! Way to go! So when is the next one????

dishes and laundry said...

You are awesome! Aren't you just so dang proud of yourself?

Congratulations!!!

Susan said...

I am SO PROUD of you my Oska-friend. What an accomplishment! You inspire me...Maybe I'll go walk around the block. Good Job.

Amber said...

Nora, you did so good! I'm so proud of us! And I'm totally jealous of all your pictures- even if you think cropping was necessary!

Brandi said...

Nora, I think that you are amazing! Really, Amber told me how much faster you were able to swim in just a years time and you are now my motivation. I am planning on doing the triathlon next year. Hopefully you experienced triathletes will help me along. I will have 5 months to prepare after the baby comes. Let me know next time you are going swimming. I need some help from you and Amber. My husband isn't patient enough for me.

But, honestly, I'm impressed and I think you look beautiful in every picture. Like you're having a great time!

YW ROCK said...

You have such a cute blog. I saw it on Joann Spencers and i had to take a look. You are amazing with your triathlon. I don't think i could do that. That is awesome. Hope all is well. Your family is so cute, i havent seen your little new one, so it was fun to see on the blog. CUTE CUTE!!

Traci Gunn said...

Way to go Nora!! You three girls rock. I wish I had it in me to try one.

Melissa and Jason said...

Congrats! You're awesome. I'm proud of you for doing that. It's my goal to do one next summer. I'll come to you for advice!

Megan Marie said...

Awesome job Nora!! I'm excited for when I can do a triathalon!!

Kass said...

Congratulations, Nora! That was such a great review I feel like I was there! You are amazing in so many ways! How funny you saw Marty Davis too. She's still teaching at Monte Vista? Wow. That was a whole lifetime ago it seems. I have got to get off my can & maybe a race is what it will take. I did a half-marathon last year & it really was cool to be in the whole "work out/race/healthy" environment for a few months-now to have left again I feel like I'll be starting from scratch. You may have just given me the motivation though! Thanks for sharing.

amylouwhosews said...

You are awesome, Nora! (without trying to sound too dorky - ) I am SO proud of you! You look great and like you were having a blast! Your description reminded me of my first one. Those pre-night non-sleeping jitters are the worst! Thank goodness for adrenaline!

I love that you ran into to Marty and that she is still racing - she's amazing. I can't believe she's still at Monte Vista. I'm with Kass - that seems like ages ago.

I'm excited to hear about which 'fill-in-the-blank' you tackle next! (I don't recommend a road trip alone with the kids, however...)

Amy said...

Way to go, Nora!!! You gals are awesome. I agree that no cropping was needed you are beautiful!

Rich and Nichole said...

What an amazing story to tell. I am in wonderment! Congratulations.

Unknown said...

awesome. congrats!!! i am so impressed

Angi said...

You Rock Woman!!!

Jennifer said...

Way to go! Those pictures show your joyful personality coming through, even in the midst of pain and challenges. You're incredible!

Zachary and Shanna said...

Wow Nora you are amazing. What a great goal. Also how cool to say you have completed a triathalon. Thanks for sharing all of the details. Way to go.

Stacey said...

I am so impressed by you! I had no idea! It was really fun to see you today. Check out my blog at www.markandstaceyjamesfamilyblog.blogspot.com I can't wait to keep up on your family.

Robyn said...

You guys were so amazing and inspiring-glad I could be there to cheer you on! Congratulations!

Sharon said...

CRAZY! 32 Comments...way to start a buzz! You looked great! I hope preschool is going well..