Pages

Monday, July 14, 2008

Gee, I wanna go to O....o...crest!

Bottom row, second from the left. Look at all those pegged jeans! 1994.

I worked at Camp Oakcrest the summer of '94 and I went to the 50 year reunion last Friday. It was exciting to see friends, and have memories come gushing back. It was a shaping time for me--I loved the counselors I worked with!
As counselors we lived with the girls in cabins. I was racing trying to find a cabin that had my name left on the door's edge where all counselors signed their names. It was so exciting -- I was giddy -- a lot of the doors have been painted, but, looky here....There I am. Oskaloosa--that was my name.
I looked over to James who was doing his best to not look bored-- "Did you realize how much fun you were going to have?" He smiled. I should have had him open his eyes when I took this.

Waiting for survivor, the zip line. What's with the glow?
I didn't tell James I was going to go, so he didn't get a shot of me flying through the air, and then slamming into the mattress that's lashed to the tree at the end of the line.
Sushi and Bub-- Bad photo again, but they are soooo cool.
Aspen and Paisley--I had just screamed in their ears at seeing them and was finishing off my second Hello Dolly bar. Talk about memories that flood back with taste.... Bad lighting this time? Nope just the photographer.
Lyric and Minnie--yes and their real names are Tricia and Melissa--I looked it up in my scrapbook. Yep that's right, I've gone on a mission, gotten married, born 5 children, taught school, traveled some, and the only scrap book I've ever put together was 11 weeks of summer when I was 19. Go figure.
The lodge!Going down the water slide with Duckie--I noticed all this dried mud and dirt on the way up--I'm such a grown up! I got stuck too but I'm chalking it up to the water not being turned on.
I stole this off of Sushi's blog, Elmo and 2 month old baby, me, Apodo, Idgie, BooBoo and Sushi.
The current counselors sang for us, in the program, and there was a slide show where we all screamed and sang a lot. I really would have liked to see a guitar but maybe they've moved on from that folksy stuff. It was such an enjoyable night and it made me realize that at one time in my life, I used to like 12 year olds and I used to have fun with them. This week in Sunday school we played commandment bingo with mini marshmallows. See I can have fun.
I pulled out my new guitar on Sunday and taught Addie and Ben the song, Children of the Light. I can't find my capo so we sang really low.... "We are on our wa...a...ay"

11 comments:

Melissa and Jason said...

I think I'm going to steal some of your pictures, you got some good ones. It was so fun to see you.

Nicholle said...

My 12 year old niece just got back from camp and was singing all of the songs you taught us at El Camino! It brought back so many memories!

Megan Marie said...

Ohh my goodness!! I went to Oakcrest last year and I LOVED it. I totally wish i could go this year!! I looked at all of the pictures on the wall with all of the past counselors, and I found yours!! I hope I can be a counselor when I'm older!

Sharon said...

It's a bit startling to open a blog and see someone who looks just like you!!! I haven't seen a full view of you and your hair, and I must say, I love it! Oh, and I LOVED Oakcrest!

Miss M said...

Oskaloooooooosa!!!
It was great to see you and you haven't changed a bit. Thanks for sharing your blog with me.
Duckie

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

NORA!!!! My NORA!!! How are you? Your family is BEAUTIFUL! Oh my goodness! It's so exciting to see them. So, another Oakcrest counselor googled Oakcrest, found my blog and gave me your link not knowing I knew you. I was working on getting a second to come over here when I saw your post on my website! How awesome. Thank you for putting the torch up here.

How is James? Please say hi to him for me. I just found a contract I made him sign. He must have signed it while you were on your mission. It said "I James Mair promise to work with April Thorup in Yosemite the summer of 1995". Ha ha. Never happened. That was the year I worked at Oakcrest. I wish I could have been to the reunion to see you two.

Susan said...

I totally missed Lyric! dang it! I didn't say 'hi' to Paisley or Aspen either. I'm sure you told them hello for me though right??? I love your pictures. I didn't take very many, and I thought I would. I guess I just got caught up in the moment. love ya!
Soosh

Christensen family said...

I love it. You are sooo fun! Great memories!!!

Kass said...

Isn't it amazing how little moments of our lives can have such an impact? I love that you went to the reunion & joined right in the fun! You are such a fun person!

Spencer family said...

I loved Oakcrest too! I sure wish that I could of been a counselor, but maybe Taylor can be one when she gets older! I think that I might of been at Oakcrest that year but I can't remember my counselor's name. I'll get back to you on that! Thank for the fun picutres!

Kari said...

Hello! It was so great to see you at oakcrest. I am so impressed at your accomplishments in the triathalon. Boo Boo