Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Cost of gas and wheat and .....kids clothes!

Last week we did a stint at the cabin. It wasn't a true vacation because James commuted to work everyday but with a vacation spirit we: stayed up late, slept late, ate wonderful food, watched High School Musical more that we'll admitt, and enjoyed visits from the outside world. Michelle came with her kids and Marisa visited as well. Wonderful discussion developes at the cabin so thanks for coming and you're kids' are great hikers.
Cousins just hanging out.




We did celebrate Addie and Julie's birthday. Heather made delicious chocolate square cupcakes and we sang.
Isn't this an adorable picture?





Tom did a fun photo session. He does good work. Christmas clothes you wonder? Well I'm just getting around to it. Plus with the snow and rustic backgound.....
I could not love a picture more than this with Stuart's smile and Paige's look of wonder...






Now on to the title of this post...I filled up the tank, once the gas light went on, at the Kamas Food Town Sinclair and I thought...$3.45 for a gallon..man the price has really on up..but with all the world worrying about it, I don't need to. Last week I bought my second bag of Red Hard wheat to make Vanessa's heavenly whole wheat bread and the cost was $29.95 for a 50lb bag--just $16.00 more from the last time I bought it--in January. That's up more than %100? in a couple of months!


While up at the cabin, Kim (my SIL) and I went to the outlets in Park City. We took all 7 kids so we knew we weren't looking at anything to try on--we hit the kid stores. We started at the Children's Place and all clearance was 50% off, my kind of sale. I showed restraint and left with only 2 outfits ($16) for Addie for school next year--or to wear the next day because it was so darn cute--butterfly camo--and it matched Emma. I went back later for shirts and pants for the boys and Paige got a full meal deal at the Gymboree Outlet. Our kids were somewhat done after about an hour so I stuck them in the over-the-top-Pilot with a movie and fishies. We then tagged team shopped for another 2+ hours but our price points were warped. If it wasn't two or four dollars we put it back to evaluate cuteness, necessity, everlasting happiness.... not really but the point of this narrative is to tell you there is one thing left that has not gone up in price. Kids clothes. And because of our friends in China it's cheap, and because of the need to cover ourselves there's lots of it, competition and all. I'm remembering and referring you to my experience of a jogging suit in 4th grade. I saved and saved and with about $20 went out shopping with my mom. Well the pickings were slim and at Sears (not all that Grand then) I finally found one and it was around $33. I worked out the difference with my mum. That was 25 years ago. Now with the math from the aforementioned wheat and gas, to outfit a kid should be $60 - $70. It's not. It could be if you're particular (I've been known to be) and the cost doesn't factor cute for you like it does me, but it's not. With all the talk of rising prices, let's talk about what hasn't. Anthing else come to mind?

8 comments:

amylouwhosews said...

okay, adorable faces - everyone!! I love your posts - so entertaining!

I'm trying to think of something that hasn't gone up . . . maybe the price of things at the dollar store? Or are they now the 1.50 store?

Sharon said...

The pictures were amazing! Go Tom! Boneless Skinless chicken breasts just went on sale for $1.67 a pound at Kroger, yipee! I haven't noticed much of a change in cost of groceries I buy..

Unknown said...

I love the picture too of just the 4 kids. I can't believe how expensive things really are getting. I am having a hard time finding something that has actually gone down other than outdated electronics. :)
I hate how expensive eggs are now. It makes me sad & sick at the same time. i've noticed a huge change in all the other groceries too as a result of increased gas prices and the usage of corn for bio fuels instead of as feed or food.
It frustrates me how expensive it is to travel as none of my family is here and we have to sacrifice so much to get to see them every few years or so. Well...at least kids clothes are cheap. :)

Jennifer said...

Advice hasn't gone up in price yet.

As my dad always says, his advice is freely given "and worth every penny you pay for it."

Michelle said...

Ice cream cones at Arctic Circle are still about 50 cents.

Donna and Bevan said...

The price of computers and laptops have definitely come down. Not like I'm thinking of getting a new one. Though it would be nice, how would I get back all those programs I "aquired" from college?

Michelle said...

I just thought of another. Garments are cheaper now than when I first started buying them! Hurray for $2.80!

Kim said...

Entertainment... I could spend hours reading blogs and for free (or the price of internet but that's a sunk cost).
So fun to see you on Wednesday! Thanks for the great dinner. See you Sunday.